How to Register France .FR Domain Names
How to Register France .FR Domain Names
Updated on Oct 15, 2021
The extension .FR is the country code TLD (top-level domain) for France. Any company or individual residing within the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein may register a .fr domain name. Learn how to register your .fr domain today and connect with your French audience!
In this post, we will go over the specifics around the ccTLD - .FR (France). We will cover:
Why choose a .FR domain?
Register a .FR domain name and your website will target France, the second-largest economy by buying power in the EU, seventh in the world. Furthermore, French is the official language in 29 countries, which adds up to about 270 million speakers. Once you have registered your .FR domain name, you will be promoting your products and/or services to a huge French audience with a great purchasing power. If you are planning to expand your business on a global scale and you are going to target France, once you've registered your .FR domain name, you will need to write original content (in French) for your website.
Registering a .FR domain name for your website leads to ranking highly in search results. Search engines always make sure to return results relevant to the user’s language and location. That is why your website with its .FR domain extension, written in French, is going to do well. You will be keeping both your target audience and the search engines happy, which should be your ultimate goal as a website owner.
The .FR domain extension is not the only domain you can register if you’d like to talk with the French. The country readily adopted several new domains, including .PARIS, .ALSACE, and .BZH. Domain name registrations were quick to accumulate with these new GeoTLDs. Using the domains to highlight a link with a region and making this part of the marketing plan – product authenticity!
There are more than 50 million Internet users in France and, according to the .FR registry, over 80% search for local businesses using a .FR domain name.
Who Can Register .FR Domain Names?
Any company or individual residing within the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein can register a .FR domain.
The registration period is one year only, though it is possible to renew the registered domain starting 30 days prior to the expiration date.
What do I Need to Register a .FR domain?
A .FR domain requires several extended attributes to be provided during registration:
If Companies having their head office in the territory of the European Union is selected for Registrant Type in the “.FR Extended Attributes” section (as it’s shown on the screenshot above), the registrant needs to provide one of the following extended attributes or a set of attributes:
- SIREN (Système d'Identification du Répertoire des Entreprises - 9 digits) or SIRET (Système d'Identification du Répertoire des Etablissements - 14 digits) number - for French companies with a SIREN or SIRET number
- EU Trademark number - for companies with a Trademark number
- DUNS number (Data Universal Numbering System - 8 digits) - for companies with a valid DUNS number issued by Dun & Bradstreet
- EEA Local Identifier (European Economic Area) - for companies with a local identifier specific to a country of the European Economic Area
Also, if the domain is registered on behalf of a French association listed in the Official Gazette of the French Republic, the following data is required as well:
- Association declared on (in YYYY/MM/DD format)
- Issue of the Gazette
- Gazette published on (in YYYY/MM/DD format)
- Page of the announcement
If an Individual responsible for the domain is selected in that section, the Organization and Job Title fields should be left blank in your Domain Contacts, and the following extended attributes are required:
- Date of birth (in the YYYY/MM/DD format)
- Country of birth
If “France” is selected in the Country of birth field, the registrants should also provide the city of birth and zip/postal code:
You may also fill in extended attributes in advance or after domain registration so that they are used for all your future registrations.
How to Register .FR Domain Names with FastComet
Registering your .FR domain name with FastComet is not difficult. Follow the steps below:
- Log in to your FastComet Client Area;
- In your Client Area, go to Domains → Register new Domain;
- Type the .FR domain name that you want and check for its availability:
- Once you pick an available domain, click on the button Add to Cart:
- On the next screen, you will see a note about the specifications when you are ordering a .FR domain:
- After you are ready with picking up addons, go ahead and click on Update Cart:
- You will see a message stating that your chosen domain name is not GDPR compliant on the next screen. Check the box to agree with the message:
- Input all your information correctly in the fields below (if it’s not already there);
- Choose your Payment Method;
- Click on the button Complete Order:
- Wait until one of our Customer Service representatives contacts you;
.FR Domain Name Renewal
You can renew your domain name manually or set up Auto Renewal, an optional feature available with all domains. The renewal date depends on whether you manually renew your domain name or set it to auto-renew. We will attempt auto-renewal on the 7th day before the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, you should re-attempt renewal again on the 3rd day prior to the domain name's expiration date.
All you need to do when registering your .FR domain name is to follow the steps in this guide and provide the correct information. The FastComet team will contact you as swiftly as possible once you have placed your order and will help you with finalizing your domain registration.
We hope you find this article useful. Discover more about FastCloud - the top-rated Hosting Solutions for personal and small business websites in four consecutive years by the HostAdvice Community!