How to Transfer Away a Domain Name from iPage to FastComet
How to Transfer Away a Domain Name from iPage to FastComet
Updated on Oct 5, 2022
iPage has been around since 1998, and just like Bluehost and HostGator, it’s part of Newfold Digital (formerly Endurance International Group (EIG). At FastComet, we hear from customers every day who are looking for a better EIG alternative. They want a service that’s able to provide advanced features, powered with a scalable tech stack and reliable infrastructure. If you already have a great domain name but you’re not happy with your iPage domain registrar — no need to worry! You can easily transfer your domain to another registrar. One of the best things about transferring your domain over to FastComet is that you can manage all your domain settings and billing from your FastComet account. You will have everything you need in one place. Additionally, you can use the domain name as a Private DNS, or you can choose to set it up with Google Apps. Furthermore, we send all our clients emails when their domains are close to expiration to avoid any downtime because of missed domain renewal. You will be no exception.
Here at FastComet, we make it super easy to transfer a domain registered with iPage by guiding you through each step with simple instructions.
Table of Contents:
Prepare to Transfer the Domain Safely and Easily
Before you continue with the domain transfer, take note that whenever a domain name is transferred away, the nameservers associated with it stay the same during its transfer from one registrar to another. Say your domain is using the default iPage nameservers; they will be preserved during the domain transfer, which is why you will not be able to change them until the transfer is finalized.
This means that if you switched to another web hosting provider and your website was already migrated, make sure that your domain name is pointed to the new hosting provider before initiating a domain transfer. Again, you won’t be able to change the nameservers until the domain transfer is complete.
Keep in mind that Domain Name Registration and Web Hosting are two separate services. The domain name transfer process will not migrate your website automatically. If you’re a FastComet customer and you want to transfer your website from iPage, go ahead and submit a migration request from your client area. Our transfer experts will move your existing website(s) and email(s) free of charge, seamlessly, and without any downtime.
Once the domain name transfer is completed, you can take advantage of our special offer. We will renew your domain for one year free of charge.
The details listed here are only for transferring your domain’s registration to another registrar. The transferring of the hosting for your site is a completely different process. Read more about the process in the following article: How to transfer your website to FastComet.
Review Domain Name Transfer Requirements
- Due to ICANN's Transfer Policy, domain names must have been registered for more than 60 days in order for them to be eligible for transfer. This 60-day registrar lock is to prevent fraud and theft of domains;
- You cannot transfer your domain if it's within 60 days of а previous transfer;
- Usually, the domain name should have more than 15 days before its expiration date;
For more thorough information, you can check our tutorial on domain transfer requirements.
Prior to attempting to transfer a domain away from iPage, you must complete the following steps.
Steps to Transfer A Domain From iPage
You should start by accessing your iPage account, where your domain is currently registered.
- Log in to your Domain Dashboard:
- Log in to your account and click Manage on the domain you wish to transfer.
- In Card view, click on the Manage button:
- In List view, click on the Gear icon:
- Click on Transfers in the left-hand menu:
- Make sure that the Transfer Requirements are met, showing green. Again, please double-check your email address if it is correct before clicking the 'Email Auth-Code' button.
- Click the Email Auth-Code button, and you will see a brief confirmation message:
- Once Auth-Code has been received, you can start transferring your domain to your new registrar. You can put the Auth-Code to your new account with them or communicate with their Support Specialist.
Up until April 2021, removing the Domain ID Protection (aka Domain Privacy, Private Registration, etc.) was one of the requirements for a domain transfer. The requirement was in place because when you transfer a domain name from another registrar to FastComet, ICANN requires us to send a transfer verification email to the current registrant's email address. In case you initiate a domain transfer while still having ID Protection enabled at your current domain registrar, there is a high probability the transfer verification email won't be delivered. That has now changed. As of April 2021, you do not need to pause or disable Domain ID Protection when you transfer your domain name. The domain transfer can proceed with ID Protection enabled.
Purchase Your FastComet Hosting Plan
The first thing you should do (if you haven’t already) is to choose from our hosting plans. You can check our price list on your own, but you should consider contacting one of FastComet’s Customer Care specialists, who will help you pick the best plan for your online project.
If you already have an existing website that you plan to move over, check the correct steps to transfer both your Domain Name and Website to Avoid Downtime
- Once you have chosen your starting plan with FastComet, you can click on the GET STARTED button:
- Next, choose the option “I already Have a Domain,” and then click on the USE THIS DOMAIN button:
Choosing "I already Have a domain does not initiate the domain transfer. You need to do that additionally, as we explain further below in this post.
Update the Nameservers to Point to FastComet
The transfer needs time to process. As your previous provider should release the domain to FastComet, it is a good idea to point your domain to the FastComet nameservers or via A record to the IP address, provided to you in your Welcome email, so that be able to start working on your website.
Changing your name servers while your domain is being transferred may cause the transfer to fail. Be sure that you have updated your name servers before the transfer begins so that your domain will be working as soon as possible.
When you make changes to your DNS, please allow up to 24 hours for propagation after making the change. Thus, we recommend performing no changes on your website during that time, as once the propagation is over, they may not be saved on the new server.
Submit a Domain Transfer Request to FastComet
As you may have already seen while purchasing your FastComet hosting plan, we provide domain transfer services to all existing customers. After transferring your domain to FastComet, you get access to our user-friendly domain management interface, and you can take full control of your domain.
To initiate the transfer process for your domain name, please make sure that you have access to your domain administrative email address. In case you no longer have access to that email address you may request to have that email changed by your current domain registrar.
When you have done everything in this post up until now, and you are sure that all requirements are met, continue with the following steps:
- Login to your FastComet Client Area;
- Click on the Domain Transfer link under the Domains section in your Client Area:
- Input your domain and select your domain extension to check if the domain transfer is available for your domain:
If you don’t find your extension on the list, contact our technical support for further information. You can do that by submitting a new support ticket.
- If your domain is available for transfer, click on the Add to Cart button to proceed:
- Insert your Authorization (EPP) Code in the field shown in this screenshot:
- If all requirements for the successful domain transfer are met, you should receive your domain transfer confirmation email shortly.
After changing your domain name servers, the new ones will be set after the domain transfer is complete. Your domain will not be modified by our registrar during the transfer.
Check the Status of a Domain Transfer
Domain transfers can take 5 - 7 days to complete. You may contact us at any time to inquire about your transfer status.
We hope you find this article useful. Discover more about FastCloud - the top-rated Hosting Solutions for personal and small business websites in four consecutive years by the HostAdvice Community!
- How to Transfer Away a Domain Name from ChemiCloud to FastComet
- How to Transfer Away a Domain Name From HostGator to FastComet
- How to Transfer Away a Domain Name from Namecheap to FastComet
- What is the Difference Between Domain Transfer vs. Nameserver Change
- How to Transfer Away a Domain Name from HostPapa to FastComet